Ashley Vann, Katy ISD School Board President, and Mayor Chuck Brawner, City of Katy, with members of the Harris County Historical Commission at the site of Katy's first schoolhouse.
The original property, a small one-room house, was established in 1898 and slated by the founders of the town to be used for public education. The current Katy Elementary campus was built in 1965, renovated in 1989 and again in 1995. Today, students play on the same location as the original playground. The first school bell from 1909 still hangs in the main entrance of the campus.
Attendees also included Katy ISD namesakes, as well as legacy students - 5th or 6th generation current students, who had descendents that attended the one-room schoolhouse.