101 South Richey
Houston , 77506
David Pomeroy reports marker is missing 1/2007; orig. dedication date Jan. 1978; sponsored by Atlantic-Richfield Company, Margaret Henson speech on tape; Francita Stuart Ulmer has coordinated the re-installation of the marker 1/2009; THC Atlas includes replacement marker as separate entry, marker # 15682 dated 2008; Francita Ulmer: two stones at the base of the marker fell off railroad cars that went through the ranch carrying rocks to be used in building the Galveston seawall after the 1900 storm. My great-grandmother used the stones- many more than these two-for a rock garden near her house. This area is in Houston and not Pasadena; Replacement marker reported missing in December 2010; second replacement marker obtained in 2014 and relocated to 101 S. Richey, Pasadena (Pasadena Courthouse)
Directions: From SH 225, exit South Richey, left/north on South Richey across freeway to John Phelps Courthouse complex, 101 S. Richey
Key Time Period: To 1835 Indian/Mexican Territory
Marker Text: This busy commercial area was once part of the Allen Ranch, one of the oldest and largest ranches in southeast Texas. A portion of the land was granted to Morris Callahan in 1824 by Mexico and inherited by his niece Rebecca Jane Thomas (d. 1919), who married Samuel William Allen (1826-1888) in 1844. Allen bought additional land, including a 1300-acre tract belonging to his friend Governor Francis R. Lubbock, and began operation of a prosperous cattle ranch. He helped organize the firm of Allen & Poole to ship cattle to eastern and foreign markets.
Samuel Ezekiel Allen (1848-1913) took over operation of the ranch from his father in 1881. He and his wife Rosa Lum (d. 1931) built a large home near the junction of Buffalo Bayou and Sims Bayou (1 mi. N). Allen was a leading Houston businessman as well as a cattleman.
At the time he died, Allen's property included 13,000 acres in Harris County and 10,000 acres in Brazoria County. In 1917, Rosa Allen sold 700 acres to the Sinclair Oil Company (now Atlantic Richfield Corporation) as a refinery site. The remaining land was later divided for industrial, commercial, and residential use. The ranch house was moved to Galveston Bay, where it became Camp Allen of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas. (1976)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 536 G
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10591