Allen, John Kirby, gravesite
1217 West Dallas at Valentine Street
Houston , 77019
Louis Lenz Inventory # 31 of 71; "Houston" magazine Vol. 7, No. 8 September 1931 page 24 reports marker dedication ceremony for John K. Allen and Sally Chapman Allen at Founders Cemetery. W. G. Winters director of the Houston Chamber of Commerce presided, dedicated by Mayor Monteith, L. W. Kemp member of Texas Historical Board was present. No specific marker photos or information regarding the type of marker placed.; Reverse of headstone is "August 30, 1836 they founded" not August 29.
Directions: Northwest corner of Founders Memorial Park Cemetery
Key Time Period: 1836 - 1845 Republic of Texas
Corretions/New Research: Per the research of Allen descendant, Ralph Dittman:
John Kirby Allen was born in Canaseraga Village, Madison County, New York. This is not the same location as the contemporary Canaseraga in Allegany County, New York. The Village of Canaseraga in now Sullivan Village. Canasareaugh, ending with "areaugh", is a misspelling of the village name. In an interview given to the Houston Daily Post in 1895 Charlotte Baldwin Allen refers to his birthplace as Orrville. Charlotte Allen was 90 years of age at the time of the Houston Daily Post interview, and died the following month. Dittman's research indicates that John Kirby moved to Orrville at the age of seven to live with an uncle. Orrville was renamed DeWitt in 1825.
Marker Text: (Front) Born in Canasareaugh, New York 1810 - - Came to Texas in 1832 - Died in Houston August 18, 1838.
(Reverse) John K. Allen was a member of the first Congress of the Republic (1836-1837) from Nacog-doches County - - He and his brother, Augustus C. Allen, on August 25, 1836 purchased a league of land from Mrs. T. F. L. Parrott for five thousand dollars, on which on August 30, 1836 they founded the town of Houston named in honor of the hero of San Jacinto
Marker Type: Centennial Grave Marker
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 P
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.466, 95 22.762
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 10594