Bayland Park, 2641 SH 146 Business
Baytown , 77521
(est. 1866) See "Suffer the Children: A History of the Confederate Orphanage at Baylands, Harris County, Texas 1867 to May 1918" by Trevia Wooster Beverly (2004); in March 2008 new "Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek" marker installed next to this marker
Directions: From SH 225, north on SH 146, cross the Fred Hartman Bridge toward Baytown, after crossing the bridge exit to the right on Business 146; then turn right at the traffic light into the Waterfront District Public Boat Ramp entrance, then turn left and continue across the parking lot to the McBride Boat Ramp; the marker is to the left of the McBride Boat Ramp
Key Time Period: 1866 - 1876 Reconstruction
Marker Text: (Site 1/2 mi. SE)
Established in 1866 by Texas Confederate veterans for children of deceased soldiers. Had capacity for 250. Rev. Henry F. Gillette was first superintendent. C. S. A. Col. Ashbel Smith, diplomat, soldier and statesman, was staff doctor. Trustees included leading citizens.
Donations from Harris and Galveston counties started the home, but later gifts came from as far away as New Orleans.
After the Confederate children grew up, home and school were opened to others. Bayland was forerunner of the De Pelchin Faith Home, of Houston. (1964)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (Rescinded)
Key Map Information: 541 E
GPS Coordinates: 29 42.788, 95 59.613
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10609