Marker Details

Bering Memorial United Methodist Church

1440 Harold

Houston , 77006

Directions: Marker is mounted on exterior wall

Key Time Period: 1846 - 1865 Statehood - Civil War

Corretions/New Research:

Marker Text:
Originally known as the First German Methodist Church of Houston, this congregation was organized in 1848 by the Rev. Charles Goldberg. Most of the charter members were German immigrants, including August and Conrad Bering, two brothers who had come to Texas in 1846 with their parents. The name of the church was changed in 1911 to honor this founding family. About the same time, English was introduced into the worship services. The congregation met at Milam and McKinney streets from 1858 until 1924, when it moved to this location. (1984)
Marker Type: Marker
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)

Key Map Information: 493 S

GPS Coordinates: 29 44.479, 95 23.790

Precinct No: 1

Marker No: 10617