Burnett Homesite, Matthew
east of Telge Rd. on Pleasant Grove St.
Cypress , 77429
Marker mounted on block monument style support; "Project of Jeffrey D. Dunn & Edward W. Turley, Jr." incised into bottom of marker frame; marker noted as Sam Houston Bicentennial 1793-1993
Directions: North of Hwy 290 (Telge is east of Mueschke); marker in Telge Park near fence, SE corner of Telge & Pleasant Grove at entrance to Enchanted Oaks subdivision
Key Time Period: 1836 - 1845 Republic of Texas
Marker Text: Texas army camp - April 16, 1836.
Matthew Burnett (1795-1842) and his wife, Sarah (Simmons) (1797-1852), came to Texas from Arkansas in 1831 and settled south of here on Cypress Creek. Their home was near the "Harrisburg Road" which stretched 15 miles northwest to a crossroads at the home of their closest neighbor, Abram Roberts, and, in the other direction, 25 miles southeast to Harrisburg.
The interim government of the Republic of Texas stayed here briefly on March 22, 1836, while enroute to establish the Republic's new capital at Harrisburg. The Texas army, 1100 men under the command of Sam Houston, stopped here about dusk on April 16, 1836, after turning southeast at the Robert's crossroads earlier in the day. During their overnight stay they consumed most of Burnett's livestock and grains, and burned fence rails for fuel. The next morning the Texas army departed for Harrisburg. Four days later, on April 21, they routed the Mexican army at the Battle of San Jacinto, winning Texas independence from Mexico.
Having fled the area in the episode known as the "Runaway Scrape," the Burnetts returned after learning of the victory at San Jacinto. In the late 1830s and 1840s their home became a prominent landmark and well-known tavern on the road to the city of Houston.
Sam Houston Bicentennial 1793-1993
Marker Type: Monument with Marker
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 368 J
GPS Coordinates: 29 57.263, 95 38.903
Precinct No: 3
Marker No: 10623