Cedar Bayou Masonic Lodge No. 321 A. F. and A. M.
2850 Ferry Road
Cedar Bayou , 77522
three markers at this location, Lodge, Lodge building & grave marker in cemetery behind building
Directions: From Hwy 146 eastbound, right on N. Alexander, one block and then right on Ferry road, approx. 2 tenths mile to lodge on left; marker is freestanding in landscaped area in front of Cedar Bayou Masonic Lodge building
Key Time Period: 1866 - 1876 Reconstruction
Marker Text: Chartered June 18, 1870, with 13 members. Opened its own hall July 7, 1876, donating quarters (1876-1911) to the first public school in east Harris County.
On June 24, 1879, initiated an event that still continues -- the annual barbecue giving sense of community to area. In 100 years, Lodge has missed holding only one stated meeting. Through eras of great local expansion, this body has exerted stabilizing influence. Membership has grown steadily. Cedar Bayou sponsored organizing of lodges at Goose Creek (1922) and Anahuac (1948). (1970)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 502 P
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.047, 94 55.852
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10626