Cedar Bayou United Methodist Church
2714 Ferry Road
Cedar Bayou , 77522
THC Atlas text error, Texas' years an an independent republic" should be 'as an'; old church building behind newer church building
Directions: From Hwy 146 eastbound exit N. Alexander, one block to Ferry Road, right on Ferry road, approx. 3 tenths mile to church, next to Cedar Bayou lodge; marker is freestanding to the right (facing) of the new church main building
Key Time Period: 1846 - 1865 Statehood - Civil War
Marker Text: This congregation was organized in 1844 at the home of early settler Hance Baker, under the direction of the Rev. Robert Alexander, a noted Methodist missionary during Texas' frontier period. With twenty-seven members by its second meeting, the church held worship services in Baker's home until a log sanctuary was built near this site sometime after 1847.
The Rev. L. S. Friend served as first pastor of the church, which originally was called Alexander Chapel for its founder. The church building became a gathering place for the small Cedar Bayou community, and camp meetings were held on the grounds each summer.
In 1853, the only Sunday School in the district was held here, and the congregation's emphasis on Christian education has continued over the years. By the early 1900s the church had begun providing neighboring communities with Sunday School teachers and literature.
Cedar Bayou United Methodist Church continues to reflect the ideals and traditions of its founders. With historic ties to Texas' years as an independent republic and to the beginning of Methodism in the state, it remains a significant element in the area's heritage. (1984)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 502 P
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.181, 94 55.732
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10628