Damascus Missionary Baptist Church
3211 Center St. at Court
Houston , 77007
address change per inventory 1/08, from 3122 to 3211, THC address correct; old church demolished, new church building on this site; per Bernice (8/2011) & Debra (2/2012) marker is installed, no dedication planned; NOTE: database marker text from THC Atlas does NOT match 2009 marker text , the text was revised on the 2009 replacement marker. This entry "Rescinded" 09-0-2013 and replaced by entry #00121 (2009 entry not listed in THC Atlas); no photos available of original marker
Directions: Church at the corner of 3100 Center St. and 1000 blk of Court, one block north of Washington Ave. at Studemont; the "1992/2009" marker is to the right, facing, of the main entrance to the church
Key Time Period: 1866 - 1876 Reconstruction
Marker Text: This congregation traces its history to 1866, when the Rev. I. S. Campbell was sent by the National Baptist Convention to organize African American churches in Texas immediately after the Civil War. Assisted by Joseph Smalley, Campbell organized Damascus Missionary Baptist Church to serve residents of the West End and Chaneyville neighborhoods, part of Houston's Sixth Ward.
The Rev. Louis Hansburg served as first pastor of the new church, which met in the home of Phillis Wheatley until a sanctuary was built at Center and Leverkuhn streets. By 1899 the congregation was meeting in a building at Center and Court streets; by 1902 it had moved across the street to 1109 Court Street. Destroyed by a storm in 1915, the church was rebuilt and dedicated in 1918. Moving to this location in 1924, the congregation erected a new structure in 1939.
Throughout its history, Damascus Missionary Baptist Church has served the community with missionary, worship, educational, and civic outreach programs. Some church members represent families who have been associated with the congregation for as many as six generations. (1992)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 E
GPS Coordinates: 29 46.203, 95 23.523
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 10645