Morris and Elmwood Plantation, Ritson
2400 North Meyer Road
Seabrook , 77586
Directions: From SH 146, east on East Meyer Road, eight tenths of a mile to North Meyer, right on North Meyer, three tenths of a mile to Evelyn Meador Branch Library on the left; the marker is on Evelyn Meador Branch Library property, near the flagpoles at end of entrance road
Key Time Period: To 1835 Indian/Mexican Territory
Marker Text: Virginia native Ritson Morris (1798-1849) came to Texas about 1827. He settled first in Nacogdoches, where he married Minerva Edwards in 1829. One year later, following the birth of their first child, the Morrises moved to this area, where Minerva's father, Amos Edwards, had settled in Stephen F. Austin's colony.
Morris received a Mexican land grant and established a 3,000-acre plantation he named Elmwood. He raised livestock and crops, and the family lived in a modest log house. It was later replaced by a large two-story structure that remained on the site until about 1885. Minerva Morris' brother, Ashmore Edwards, built a home nearby.
In 1832 and 1835, Morris participated in skirmishes against the Mexican army at Anahuac, precedents to the Texas Revolution of 1836. Morris sent his family to New Orleans for safety during the revolution, but they later returned and continued to live on the plantation for many years.
Ritson Morris contracted tuberculosis and died on September 21, 1849. He was buried in the family cemetery on Elmwood Plantation. Many of his descendants continue to live in southeast Harris County. (1991)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 620 L
GPS Coordinates: 29 34.236, 95 00.967
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10657