First United Methodist Church of Katy
5601 Fifth Street at Avenue A
Katy , 77493
Church Sanctuary at Ave. B & 5th St.; Committee info on reverse of marker; small parking lot across street from Fellowship Hall
Directions: Marker is to the right (facing) of the entrance to Fellowship Hall and faces Avenue A, next to ramp access; church Sanctuary on the southwest corner of Avenue B and Fifth Street
Key Time Period: 1877 - 1892 Post-Reconstruction
Marker Text: This congregation traces its history to 1898, when a group of Baptists, Disciples of Christ, Presbyterians, Quakers, and Methodists organized a Union Sunday School in the home of Willard James. Sometimes about 1900, the Methodists formed a separate fellowship.
The Rev. M. L. Lindsey, first pastor appointed to this congregation, also served other Methodist churches on the Houston circuit. He was assisted by several of the early families of the church, including those of W. P. Bowers, J. E. Cabiness, E. M. Morton, and T. G. Roberts. Lay members held worship services during the early years when the minister could not attend every Sunday.
In 1903, land was secured from W. E. and R. M. Cash and from L. C. Luckel, and the foundation for a frame church building was laid. The Methodist sanctuary was completed in 1904, during the pastorate of the Rev. E. W. Potter, and was the first church building constructed in the town of Katy. It served the congregation until 1938, when a new sanctuary was built. The current structure was completed in 1961.
Throughout its history, the First United Methodist Church of Katy has provided significant service and leadership to the community. The congregation continues to reflect the ideals and traditions of its founders. (1984)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 444 Y
GPS Coordinates: 29 47.389, 95 49.269
Precinct No: 3
Marker No: 10663