Harris, Capt. William Plunkett
4800 block of Palm
Seabrook , 77586
List of Marker sponsors (as Sponsops) on reverse side; Lois Harris Walker, W. P. Morgan Harris, Roland W. M. Harris, Jon J. A. Harris, Mary Ann Walker, Glenn E. Seureau, Allene McCarthy, Doris Walmsley
Directions: From Toddville, east on El Jardin 6 tenths mile to Palm, left on Palm, marker in center of Lyda May and Ruben Allen Wright Park near flag pole, across street from 4820 Palm; NOTE: no parking on Palm
Key Time Period: To 1835 Indian/Mexican Territory
Marker Text: Early Texas entrepreneur and pioneer settler. New York native William Plunkett Harris (1797-1843) ran a steamboat line in partnership with Robert Wilson before moving to Texas in 1830. At Harrisburg, founded by his brother John Richardson Harris (d. 1829), for whom Harris County was named, he and Wilson took over a mill operation. Later William started a plantation here at red Bluff, where he lived with his wife Caroline (Morgan) (1816-1867) and two children.
Harris was active in the early efforts to reform the Mexican government's control of Texas. He served as a representative from this area to the Conventions of 1832 and 1835. As a member of the Consultation of 1835 he was selected chairman of the Committee on Naval Affairs. He also served on the General Council until becoming collector of customs for the Port of Galveston in 1836.
Harris operated his steamboat "Cayuga" during the Texas Revolution, providing passage to settlers fleeing the advancing Mexican army. At Galveston, April 15-26, 1836, his boat served as temporary capitol for the interim Texas government. After the Revolution Harris served in local government and also pioneered in the planning of the area rail industry. He died in 1843 and is buried near his homesite (300 yds. N). (1981)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 621 A
GPS Coordinates: 29 35.909, 94 59.184
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10676