Prehistoric Indian Campsite
605 Pine Gully Road
Seabrook , 77586
Pine Gully Park hours Oct.-March 6:45a to 6:45p, April-Sept. 7:45a to 8:30p; 281-474-4517; park fee $2 Seabrook residents, $5 for non-residents, Senior Citizens free; large chain link gate at park entrance
Directions: From Toddville Road, east on Pine Gully, marker is on Pine Gully Park grounds, on the right about 20 yards inside the entrance gate; park entrance at end of road past Seabrook Cemetery
Key Time Period: To 1835 Indian/Mexican Territory
Marker Text: In this vicinity are the remains of a prehistoric Indian refuse pile, comprised mainly of clam shells. Archeologists call such sites "shell middens." They are the result of centuries of shellfish harvesting by early Indian groups. Shells found at this site have been identified as belonging to the Rangia Cuneata (common Rangia) clam, a species once found in abundant numbers in Galveston Bay.
As the shell midden grew in size over the years, it became the foundation for a large Indian campsite. Stone tools and pottery uncovered here are evidence of the later occupation. Although the tribal origins of the Indians cannot be determined, it is known that both Orcoquisac and Karankawa once lived in the area in historic times.
Shell middens similar to this one were once more common along the streams feeding into the bay. Storms, subsidence, and natural erosion, however, have destroyed many, as have mining operations that used the shells for road construction projects. As a result, this is one of the best remaining examples of a prehistoric midden and campsite in Harris County. Because of its significance, the site has been afforded special protection as a State Archeological Landmark. (1988)
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 621 A
GPS Coordinates: 29 35.536, 95 59.629
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10746