Pullum, The Reverend Ned P.
1319 Andrews St
Houston , 77019
Not in HCHC database, added per THC Locations list # 89816 sent by Will Howard, entry on 1-6-2008; per Debra Sloan 12-20-08 marker (storage) photo sent; THC Atlas error in the second paragraph "pastured there 24 years" should read "pastored"
Directions: Marker in front of home, left side facing, at the corner of Andrews & Wilson, south side of the street but on the same block as the Rutherford Yates marker
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Marker Text: The Rev. Ned P. Pullum was an influential African American pastor in 19th and 20th century Houston. Born c. 1861 in Pickensville, Alabama, he was ordained a Baptist minister by 1889 and in 1895 accepted the pastorate of Antioch Baptist Church in Beaumont, Texas. In 1896, he moved to the Freedmen’s Town community, founded after emancipation in Houston’s fourth ward. Later, he was chosen as pastor of Bethel Baptist Church after the death of the Rev. John "Jack" Yates. In 1898, the Rev. Pullum purchased land at this site and soon began building his family residence here.
In 1903, the Rev. Pullum left the Bethel congregation to organize Friendship Missionary Baptist Church. He conveyed land and raised funds to build the church building. He pastored there 24 years until his health began to fail. The Rev. Pullum died on June 18, 1927 and was survived by his wife, Emma (Eddings) and their two children. He is buried in Houston’s College Park Cemetery.
In addition to spiritual leadership, the Rev. Ned P. Pullum provided vital direction in local civic affairs. As a member of Magnolia Masonic Lodge No. 4, he helped establish Houston’s Carnegie Colored Library, as the institution was known during the era of segregation, and contributed to Union Hospital, an early medical facility founded and operated by African American doctors. A successful entrepreneur, he owned real estate, founded Pullum Standard Brick Work in 1904 and, shortly after, People’s Pride Shoe Repair and two drugstores. (2006)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 P
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.344, 95 22.835
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 13640