200 Westmoreland Street
Houston , 77006
marker installed but not dedicated; National Register plaque on porch; Supplemental RTHL plaque added 2011?
Directions: house on southeast corner of Westmoreland and Garrott, across from The Waldo Mansion; marker inside iron fence at the Garrott/Westmoreland corner of the front yard
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Marker Text: The 1905 Gilmer-Cage-Cohn house is a stately, pillared, classical revival residence that reflects a respect for antiquity. It is a well-designed and early example of this style in Houston. Brian Brewster and Edna (Daffan) Gilmer were the first owners. B. B. Gilmer was Secretary-Treasurer of the Standard Milling Company when he bought this lot. He organized the Southern Drug Company and became a national leader in his industry. Gilmer also made significant civic contributions, including terms as President of the Houston Chamber of Commerce and the Houston Bankers, Wholesalers and Manufacturers Association.
After a short time in the house the Gilmers sold the property to Elliott and Roene (Masterson) Cage. Elliott was a prominent Houston attorney and proprietor of the Cage Cotton Company, while Roene was President and longtime board member of DePelchin Faith Home. By 1920, the Cages sold the house to Harry Joseph Cohn, a native of Latvia , and his wife Etta Frieda, a native of Russia . Harry Cohn was a prosperous merchant in dry goods and furniture. The Cohn family lived in the house for 64 years.
The historic property includes a large main house and a detached two-story carriage house, with both structures clad in horizontal wood siding. Four monumental columns with ionic capitals dominate the house’s three bay main façade. The house shows both neoclassical and arts and crafts influences. Significant features include the main columns and inset porch, corner pilasters, low hipped roof with tympanum, window and door molding, off-center entrance and elliptical second floor balcony with balustrade.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008
Marker is the Property of the State of Texas
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 T
GPS Coordinates: 29 44.436, 95 23.124
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 15109