Harris County 1910 Courthouse
Fannin & Congress
Houston , 77002
original 1984 marker removed, Paul Scott is holding this marker at the Harris County Records Center, marker damaged; marker text revised from 1984 version; Marker re-installed on the west side entrance stairway to the Harris County 1910 Courthouse in August 2011, marker dated 2009; THC Class of 2010, 10HR05; THC Atlas marker text typo "Lang and Qithcell"
Directions: The marker is near the sidewalk on the west side of the 1910 Courthouse; the courthouse is on the downtown block encompassed by Congress, Fannin, Preston & San Jacinto
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Marker Text: This site has served as the Courthouse Square for Harris (originally Harrisburg) County since the completion of the first county courthouse, a two-story frame structure, in April 1838. Later courthouses were constructed on this site in 1851, 1860 and 1884.
The present structure, which was built in 1909-10, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location. Designed by Charles Erwin Barglebaugh, an associate in the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, the building features classical revival styling. Outstanding details include the domed roof, ornate central projections, or Risalits, with Corinthian columns, and elaborate ornamentation of terra cotta, limestone and masonry. Building materials include pink Texas granite and light brown St. Louis brick. During construction of the courthouse, county offices were housed in a nearby theater.
Shortly after a new criminal courthouse and jail facility was built east of the square in 1952, this structure was remodeled and used as the Harris County Civil Courts building. Beginning in 2009, the county restored the exterior and interior public spaces to their original 1910 appearances. Now in its second century serving the citizens of Harris County, the 1910 courthouse is a dramatic example of civic architecture and a symbol of Harris County’s dynamic growth in the early part of the twentieth century.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 M
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.683, 95 21.601
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 16354