Married Ladies Social, Art & Charity Club of America
1814 Southmore Boulevard
Houston , 77004
Application submitted to THC, Class of 2010, 10HR15; check title Married Ladies Social Club; marker dedicated Sept. 10, 2011
Directions: Building is on the south side of the street two blocks west of Hwy 288/South Freeway between Almeda Road & Chenevert St., one tenth mile west of Almeda; marker in front of the house near the sidewalk on Southmore
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Marker Text: In the early 20th Century, many black women became progressive leaders, investing themselves in social activities through clubs. On September 8, 1902, twelve ladies of Houston's elite black society founded the Married Ladies Social, Art and Charity Club to improve the social welfare of its members and the community. The charter members included Nannie Murray, the club's first president; Mrs. E. A. Hogan, Lilla Love, wife of Houston's first African-American newspaper publisher, Charles N. Love; Melissa A. Price; Venora Bell; Chloe Woods; Effie Collins; Lula Anderson; Jennie Clarke; Eliza Scott; Luella Walker; and Mary Crawford.
The club originally met twice a month in members' homes. Membership was limited to 52 married women who were required to live up to the club's moral, social and spiritual ideals. Early activities included decorating floats for Juneteenth parades and aiding victims of the devastating Fifth Ward fire of 1912. Through the years , the club has made donations, provided goods for the needy, aided battered women and operated a scholarship program. Members also offered lodging for distinguished black visitors who were unable to stay in hotels due to Jim Crow laws.
The club began to meet at their first clubhouse (1902 Berry Avenue) in 1953. In 1967, members purchased a new clubhouse at 1814 Southmore Boulevard. Noted members have included civic leader and social justice advocate Jennie Covington and civil rights activist Christian Adair. Today, the Married Ladies Social, Art and Charity Club of American, Inc. continues its mission of change through charitable, educational and social services to the community. (2010)
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 533 B
GPS Coordinates: 29 43.438, 95 22.811
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 16541