Anderson, Clayton & Co.
1310 Prairie at Caroline
Houston , 77002
Notes: Second Cotton Exchange Building erected 1923-24, see Cotton Exchange Building #10693 at 202 Travis at Franklin; M. D. Anderson marker also at this location
Directions: Marker inside lobby of the New Cotton Exchange Building/Harris County Courthouse Annex No. 44, on wall to left (facing elevators), to right of door to room # 170, wall mounted
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Marker Text: In 1904, Frank E. Anderson, his brother, Monroe D. Anderson, and his wife's brothers, William L. and Benjamin B. Clayton, formed the partnership of Anderson, Clayton & Co. in Oklahoma City. The successful cotton firm moved its headquarters in 1916 to Houston and built Long Reach, a cotton compressing-storing-shipping complex covering 32 acres on the new Houston Ship Channel, including a wharf for the simultaneous loading of eight steamships.
At the time, the world's cotton-trading center was the New York Cotton Exchange; Houston and other cities had lesser exchanges. In 1924, the Houston Cotton Exchange moved into a new building at this site. Anderson, Clayton & Co. became the building's principal tenant for many years. From the eleventh floor headquarters, company officials supervised more than 24,000 employees stationed around the world. The company incorporated in 1945. By 1960, coffee had surpassed cotton in sales, and the firm continued to diversify, with interests in related foods and textiles. By the 1980s, the food division had become its principal asset, and the Quaker Oats Company acquired the business in 1986.
The firm's Houston partners greatly influenced the city's development and enriched its future. The M.D. Anderson Foundation established the Texas Medical Center, the University of Texas-M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and many other projects. Ben Clayton created the Clayton Research Foundation and other philanthropies. Will Clayton became prominent as Undersecretary of State for Economic Affairs and for his work on the Marshall Plan after World War II. He and his wife gave their home to Houston's Public Library. In 1996, the former Cotton Exchange Building became the Anderson Clayton Courthouse Annex. (2005)
Marker Type: Marker wall mount
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 M
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.545, 95 21.556
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 13043