Marker Details

Cullen Building (Baylor College of Medicine), Hugh Roy and Lillie

One Baylor Plaza

Houston , 77030

Class of 2014, RTHL plaque; 14HR02; received 12-23-2014, dediated May 1, 2015
Directions: From Fannin Street, east on John Freeman Boulevard to Baylor College of Medicine within the Texas Medical Center complex

Key Time Period: 1941 - 1945 World War II

Corretions/New Research:

No data available

Marker Text: The Baylor University College of Medicine moved to Houston in 1943 from Dallas to launch the proposed Texas Medical Center. The building to house Baylor’s medical school was named after Hugh Roy and Lillie Cullen who moved to Houston in 1911 and made their fortune in oil. The Cullen foundation’s first check was written in 1947 to fund the new medical building. Architects Hedrick and Lindsley designed the building with modern deco elements and Texas cream limestone. A portico was added in 1982 to enhance the main entrance. The Cullen building remains at the heart of the Texas Medical Center.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014

Marker is property of the State of Texas
Marker Type: Plaque, wall mount
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission

Key Map Information: No data available

GPS Coordinates:

Precinct No: 1

Marker No: 17821