Damascus Missionary Baptist Church [Replacement]
3211 Center St. at Court
Houston , 77007
Notes: address change per inventory 1/08, from 3122 to 3211, THC address correct; old church demolished, new church building on this site; per Bernice (8/2011) & Debra (2/2012) marker is installed, no dedication planned; NOTE: database marker text from THC Atlas does NOT match 2009 marker text - was the text revised for the 2009 replacement marker? This entry added as a Replacement marker, marker #10645 listed as Rescinded..
Directions: Church at the corner of 3100 Center St. and 1000 blk of Court, one block north of Washington Ave. at Studemont; the marker is to the right, facing, of the main entrance to the church
Key Time Period: 1866 - 1876 Reconstruction
Marker Text: This congregation traces its history to 1866, when the Rev. I. S. Campbell was sent by the National Baptist Convention to organize African American churches in Texas immediately after the Civil War. Assisted by Joseph Smalley, Campbell organized Damascus Missionary Baptist Church to serve residents of the West End and Chaneyville neighborhoods, part of Houston's Sixth Ward.
The Rev. Thomas Louis Hansborough served as first pastor of the new church, which met in the home of a member until a sanctuary was built at Center and Leverkuhn streets. By 1885, church trustees purchased property on the west side of Court, near Center Street, and a new church building was erected at the site in 1893. The structure was destroyed by storms in 1900 and 1915 and was rebuilt each time. The congregation purchased nearby property at 3122 Center Street in 1926 and new structures were erected at the site in 1939 and 2007.
Throughout its history, Damascus Missionary Baptist Church has served the community with missionary, worship, educational, and civic outreach programs. Auxiliary organizations organized by members of the congregation include the business and professional women of Damascus, the Damascus Christian Education Committee and the Willing Workers Organization. A scholarship fund, a bereavement ministry and a food and clothing panty have also been established by the congregation to provide Christian outreach to the community. Some church members represent families who have been associated with the congregation from the time of its organization. (1992, 2009)
Marker is the property of The State of Texas
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 E
GPS Coordinates: 29 46.203, 95 23.523
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 121