Daughters of the Republic of Texas
620 Crawford St.
Houston , 77002
Notes: Near parking lot; THC has #10772 San Jacinto Chapter Daughters of the Republic of Texas/D.R.T.; nothing on reverse; Also see separate San Jacinto Chapter D.R.T. marker # 10772
Directions: Marker near parking lot, across from Incarnate Word; middle of block west side of street, just north of Capitol
Key Time Period: 1877 - 1892 Post-Reconstruction
Marker Text: On November 6, 1891, seventeen women met at the home of Mrs. Andrew Briscoe at this site to organize an auxiliary to the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. Anson Jones was elected president of the new organization, Daughters of the Lone Star Republic. Goals set for the group included preserving the memories of Texas Revolution heroes, instilling Texas patriotism in the state's school children, preservation of historic sites, and promoting statewide celebrations of Texas Independence Day (March 2) and San Jacinto Day (April 21).
The first annual meeting of the organization was held in Lampasas on April 21, 1892. A resolution was passed to change the group's name to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. By 1892 the first two chapters had been formed, one in Galveston and one in Houston.
The D.R.T. has been in the forefront of many historic preservation projects throughout the state. Clara Driscoll, on behalf of the D. R. T., wrote personal checks to save the Alamo from demolition. The organization also led efforts to preserve and commemorate the San Jacinto Battlefield site, and maintains the old General Land Office and French Legation buildings in Austin as museums.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 493 R
GPS Coordinates: 29 45.396, 95 21.452
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 10646