Harris, Site of the Home of Mrs. Jane
620 Frio Street
Houston , 77012
Notes: Louis Lenz Inventory # 04 of 71; located within enclosure of Jack Roach Ford Company yard, 600 block on Eric street, Harrisburg; per David Pomeroy this is a D.R.T. marker, maintained by Buffalo Marine Service, triangular granite shaped monument with plaque
Directions: From 500 block of Broadway, north of railroad tracks, east on East Elm 2 blocks and then right as the road becomes Frio; the marker is near a flag pole in a recessed area of the fence line on the west side of Frio
Key Time Period: 1836 - 1845 Republic of Texas
Marker Text: Site of the home of Mrs. Jane Harris, widow of the founder of Harrisburg.
The Cabinet Officers of the Republic of Texas were members of her household from March 23, to April 13, 1836
David G. Burnet, President
Lorenzo DeZavala, Vice President
Samuel P. Carson, Secretary of State
Thomas J. Rusk, Secretary of War
Bailey Hardeman, Secretary of Treasury
Robert Potter, Secretary of Navy
David Thomas, Attorney General .
The Town of Harrisburg was razed by the Mexican army April 17, 1836.
Marker Type: D.R.T. Plaque
Historical Org: Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Key Map Information: 535 B
GPS Coordinates: 29 43.267, 95 16.641
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 322