Pasadena, City of
Eagle Street & Main St.
Pasadena , 77056
Notes: See Pasadena The Early Years by C. David Pomeroy, Jr. (Pomerosa Press, Pasadena, 1993); typo in THC marker text ""Deaf" Smith destroyed a bridge on the Vice ranch" should be Vince; Recorded Texas Historic Landmark NOT in marker text
Directions: Marker is on the grounds of the Pasadena Historical Museum, on corner of Main and Eagle street; Eagle is parallel and just South of SH 225
Key Time Period: 1893 - 1919 City Beautiful - WW I
Corretions/New Research: Reference "Pasadena: The Early Years" by C. David Pomeroy, Jr. - Col. J. H. Burnett's name is spelled with two t's; the first land in Pasadena was sold in Dec., 1892, the city was platted and the name was used legally for the first time in Jan., 1893, but the plat was not filed until May, 1896, citations Harris County Deed Records.
Marker Text: This area has progressed from Indian territory to pioneer ranch land to space-age Pasadena.
Known at one time for its strawberry patches, it is now acclaimed for its oil and chemical industries.
The Vince brothers members of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 settlers, developed area as ranch land.
The armies of both Sam Houston and Santa Anna traveled through what is now Pasadena in 1836, to San Jacinto to decide the future of Texas. "Deaf" Smith destroyed a bridge on the Vince ranch to block possible escape by the Mexican army. After the brief battle, Santa Anna eluded the victorious Texas army on a horse stolen from Allen Vince. He was captured approximately one mile from this marker. Site of the bridge and capture may be seen by following signs to the north.
In 1850, surveyors of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad called the area "Land of Flowers."
Col. J. H. Burnet, a land developer from Galveston, founded Pasadena in 1895. He said, "Pasadena will be the hub of a vast rich agricultural area." The area fully justified his vision, for by 1908, "delicious strawberries, figs, oranges and vegetables" were the boast of Pasadena. (1967)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 536 H
GPS Coordinates: 29 42.641, 95 12.597
Precinct No: 2
Marker No: 10750