Spring Creek Park Cemetery West Chappel Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
15012 Brown Road
Tomball , 77375
Notes: Marker dedication scheduled for January 29, 2014 at 11am, postponed until Feb. 26, 2014, only photos taken at dedication ceremony currently on file
Directions: Brown Road intersects SH 249, 1 mile north of SH 2920; west on Brown Road 8 tenths of a mile, straight into Spring Creek Park at "Y" curve into park; then turn right at first intersection inside park, 7 tenths of a mile on north end of park road; past a large open field on left to loop at the end of the road; marker is at the opposite end of the loop from the "Y"
Key Time Period: 1877 - 1892 Post-Reconstruction
Marker Text: This cemetery, appropriately named "Spring Creek Cemetery" since the majority of its northern and western boundaries follows the meanders of Spring Creek, had its beginning February 23, 1884. On that date, Henry Scherer sold 6.6 acres of his farm homestead to the local West Chappel Methodist Episcopal Church of Spring Creek, an African-American organization. The deed noted that it was Scherer's desire to promote public morality and religion and it was common knowledge that the land was to be used to house a Church building and cemetery. The erection of the Church never came to pass, but a number of burials, just how many is not know, did take place over the years. The cemetery is located on a high hill adjoining the northeast corner of the county's Spring Creek Park, in far north Harris County. On July 6, 1969, Harris County and West Chappel Methodist Episcopal Church reached an agreement for Harris County to acquire the property. Memories of the church congregation, community neighbors, and descendants have faded through the years. Few, if any, realize that this property was utilized as a cemetery for 85 years. Preservation of this site provides an opportunity to enlighten local cultural heritage with untold community stories.
Harris County Historical Commission - 2013
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Harris County Historical Commission
Key Map Information: 288 E
GPS Coordinates: 30 06.637, 95 39.153
Precinct No: 4
Marker No: 402