Marker Details

Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building

301 Main St

Houston , 77002

Lower floor now Cava Bistro restaurant
Directions: Marker is to the right (facing) of the west window to Cava Bistro Restaurant, SE corner of intersection

Key Time Period: 1877 - 1892 Post-Reconstruction

Corretions/New Research:

No data available

Marker Text: This late-Victorian commercial building with a 3-story corner turret and Eastlake decorative elements was designed by George E. Dickey in 1889. Evidence indicates that the 1889 construction may have been a renovation of an 1861 structure built by William A. Van Alstyne and purchased in 1882 by John Jasper Sweeney and Edward L. Coombs. Gus Fredericks joined the Sweeney and Coombs Jewelry firm before 1889.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974
Marker Type: RTHL Marker
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)

Key Map Information: 493 L

GPS Coordinates: 29 45.733, 95 21.644

Precinct No: 1

Marker No: 10786