Temple Lodge No. 4 A. F. & A. M.
4055 West Bellfort
Houston , 77025
Notes: A Masonic Square & Compass is set in tile at the base of the pole; Temple Lodge meets on the third Tuesday of the month
Directions: 610 South, exit Stella Link and turn south to West Belfort, approx. two tenths mile to lodge, on south side of W. Belfort; marker to the right (facing) of front door
Key Time Period: 1836 - 1845 Republic of Texas
Marker Text: This Masonic Lodge traces its history to the early days of the Republic of Texas, when the seat of government was located in the newly founded city of Houston. Formally chartered on May 10, 1838, Temple Lodge was the fourth Masonic organization established in Texas, and the first to be established in the new Republic. It was chartered by the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas, which had been formed from the three existing lodges, all of which had been chartered originally by the Louisiana Grand Lodge.
Playing leading roles in the organization's formation and development were many noted Texas patriots and statesmen. Early colonist George Fisher was named first worshipful master, with San Jacinto veteran Richard Bache as secretary and future Governor Francis R. Lubbock as first junior deacon. Temple Lodge held its regular meetings in the Senate Chamber of the Capitol in downtown Houston, where statesmen Anson Jones and Mirabeau Lamar were in frequent attendance. In July 1838, Temple Lodge conducted the first Masonic burial in the Republic of Texas for State Supreme Court Chief Justice James Collingsworth.
Since its establishment Temple Lodge No. 4 has reflected the Masonic values and teachings of its founders. (1983)
Marker Type: Marker with Post
Historical Org: Texas Historical Commission (THC)
Key Map Information: 532 S
GPS Coordinates: 29 40.382, 95 26.585
Precinct No: 1
Marker No: 10789